News & Opinion
See our blog: blog.ipfactor.co.il for regularly updated news and views on intellectual property with an Israel slant.
Searching for Existing Patents and Patent Applications
The websites of the National Patent Offices include a wealth of interesting material and are worth checking out. Searches may be performed for free in the databases of the various patent offices. The most important ones are those of:
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- European Patent Office
- Japanese Patent Office
- World Intellectual Property Organization
- Israel Patent Office
- Israel Patent Database
The website of the Israel Patent Office is available in English and Hebrew, and contains much material of interest.
For convenience, most patent attorneys subscribe to commercial search engines. These are generally more user-friendly and efficient than the portals maintained by the National Patent Offices. The most popular of these are:
Other databases or information services are dedicated to specific technological fields. For example:
- Chemistry related patents and papers may be accessed through CAS, the chemistry abstracting service
- Medical patents and journal abstracts may be found via Medline
- Software prior art is searchable via the Software Patent Institute
- A tremendous abound of material is available from the Science and Technology Network STN
- There is even a comprehensive databases of patents relating to Buckminster Fullerene (bucky-balls)
- Israel design database: https://designsearch.justice.gov.il/
- Israel trademark Database: http://www.trademarks.justice.gov.il/
- UK tradedmark database: https://www.gov.uk/search-for-trademark
- European and Design databases: https://euipo.europa.eu/ohimportal/en/databases
- US trademark database http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4807:kh16o1.1.1
Other resources include Lexis Nexis with a wealth of legal information.
Israeli government sources of information
For those readers looking for business information regarding the Israeli market, see:
- The Central Bureau of Statistics The Israeli government’s macro statistics agency. It covers all the national indicators and issues reports monthly.
- The Central Bank of Israel Their site includes regularly updated statistics on national economic issues, publications, and status reports on the state of the economy.